Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Stocking Stuffers

I'm not sure what converted me to the Christmas Spirit this year.  I'm thinking it might be the "Christmas Magic movies" (my sister's term) I was watching the week before Thanksgiving. 

This year, I'm in the mood for an old fashioned Christmas.  Budgets this year have been stretched thin and gift lists are getting more and more expensive.  I think I remember when my parents started to go through the same thing.  I remember fondly when my elder sister and I begged for our first "stereos."   No way, no how.  We didn't need our own turntable.  We could always use my parents' in the Living Room.  Fast forward to Christmas, they were there on our "Santa pile."  What a great surprise!

For my kids this year, it's the electronics that are killing me.  Despite those requests, I want them to experience some gifts that are old and nostalgic. Those toys I could play with forever.

So to bring that to our house, I think I'll pick some of these up -- hopefully at our local stores, and I'll skip the socks and undies in the stocking that my husband keeps threatening!  My mom never did that to us, that I recall, but I did get a tangerine in the toe of my stocking!

Here are some oldies but goodies you can still buy.  What toys do you remember?
 





Jacks!








Slinky!











Fortune Telling Fish!










Tiddlywinks












Balsa Wood Airplanes!










Amazing Elastic Plastic!









Pick-up Sticks!











Parachute Soldiers!













Wind Up Pecking Bird!














Gymnastic Monkey Sticks!












Collapsing Animals!










Flipping Spin Top













Clackers





2 comments:

Liz said...

Patti, I didn't know you had a blog!! Good for you! I cannot imagine how you do everything you do and still find time to write about it.
I like your idea about old fashioned stocking stuffers. Brings back memories, except for the fortune telling fish??? Never saw them before. Love Aunt Liz

Kelly said...

A lot of great blasts from the past. Another oldie but goodie is marbles but they can be hard to find. I had quite the collection when I was young, most of them being my mom's from when she was little.